I was born 45 years ago, in 1969. I know, it’s hard to believe, isn’t it? I look so young! 🙂 This week for the Tuesday Ten, the theme is the year you were born. Here’s some events from 1969:
10. The song “Sugar, Sugar” by The Archies was number 1 on Billboard’s top 100 hits. Hard to believe that this was a band…in a cartoon!
9. I was born at the beginning of February, and my sign is Aquarius. So it’s appropriate that the top 2 song on Billboard’s chart was “Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In” by The Fifth Dimension.
8. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid starring Paul Newman and Robert Redford was released in theaters.
7. The first automatic teller machine in the United States was installed in Rockville Centre, New York. I use the ATM all the time, and had no idea that ATMs have been around since the year I was born!
6. Some celebrities who are the same age as me are Jason Bateman, Jennifer Aniston, Cate Blanchett, and Christian Slater.
5. On June 22, actress Judy Garland died from a drug overdose at the age of 47. She was only two years older than I am now.
4. After 147 years, the last issue of The Saturday Evening Post was published. Famous for covers by Norman Rockwell and other artists as well as publishing authors such as P.G. Wodehouse, The Post was founded back in the day by Benjamin Franklin. The Saturday Evening Post made a comeback in 1971, and is still published today.
3. From August 15 to August 18, the Woodstock Festival was held in upstate New York, featuring some of the top rock musicians of the era.
2. The Battle of Dong Ap Bia, also known as Hamburger Hill, begins during the Vietnam War. The movie Hamburger Hill is made in the 80’s, and while it is based on this battle, the characters are fictitious.
1. On July 20, when I was 5 months old, my parents watched the lunar module Eagle land on the lunar surface with about 500 million people worldwide. Neil Armstrong took his historic first steps on the Moon at 10:56 pm ET. My mom thought she had the flu; in reality, she was pregnant with my sister.
What happened the year you were born?