This may not be the best list, but I’ve posted a list for the last seven Mondays and I don’t want to break a good habit. I really missed blogging while I was in Iowa, and the more I blog, the better I become. (Allow me this delusion!) Naturally, I’m creating this list illegally, on Sunday evening, because blogging on a Monday morning with two cranky children is nearly impossible. I spent many hours on the road with said cranky children today, and I just want to get in my flannel pajamas and crawl into bed with a good book.
Ed and I love to vacation in state and national parks; to hike, camp, eat outdoors, and possibly have some wildlife sightings. During our six hour drive from Chicago to Des Moines and back again, we spied a variety of wildlife from the car. I have never seen so many animals on this trip, which we make frequently.
- I saw at least fifteen red-tailed hawks, both flying and perched in trees.
- We saw too many deer to count. Lily was thrilled to see two of them, since Bambi is her all time favorite movie.
- A flock of wild turkeys was sitting in a field right next to a herd of deer.
- As we crossed the Mississippi River, my cousin and I spotted three huge birds. I assumed they were turkey vultures, but my cousin said no, they were eagles. Sure enough, I looked more closely, and I saw their white feathered heads. It was amazing to see three bald eagles, close to the highway, in Illinois!!
- As we neared home, a small possum was venturing out of the forest preserve and walking in the grass by the road. Let’s not assume anything bad happened; he was very cute!
There are more clever lists at abdpbt!