Waiting For Butterfly Kisses

Waiting For Butterfly Kisses

I have never seen our children stand so still. As I looked out the bay window to check on them, they were frozen in the driveway, eyes looking up, hands cupped. What in the world were they doing?

Standing still

Something was up. Literally. Fluttering above their heads were six butterflies. The butterflies would dive down, touch the girls, and dart back up to the sky. Lily and Emmy just stood there, entranced.

Butterfly on Lily's shoulder

They stayed outside, standing in the driveway, until dusk. Several times the butterflies landed on each of them, only to flitter away to join its companions. The girls were caught in the butterflies’ spell.

It was past their bedtime, but I let them stay outside just a few minutes longer. I didn’t want to break the Butterfly Spell.

Simple BPM

Today, Simple Moment Bigger Picture is linking up at Melissa’s!

12 Responses to Waiting For Butterfly Kisses

1. CoolMama says:

That is so cool! I've never seen a butterfly come up to a human before. Adaline loves butterflies from afar but I have a feeling if she ever had the opportunity to experience this once in a life time moment she'd probably just scream because the butterfly touched her and run away. She's fun like that.
    My recent post Adaline’s Cesarean Birth Story

2. CTherrien says:

I love it when you can capture those unscripted moments! They are the best, aren't they?
    My recent post In Support of The Humane Society

3. jade says:

Oh my goodness! That's amazing! Not only that they could stand so still, but that the butterflies stayed so long to greet them and play with them. That's really sweet. I think they must be kindred spirits of a sort. :)
    My recent post Tropical Rain

Now that is definitely an experience you wouldn't want them to miss. How exciting!
    My recent post THANK YOU HONEY

5. hyacynth says:

That is, like, absolutely magical. Six! How wonderful to have even had one pay special attention … so beautiful!

6. OneMommy says:

I LOVE that you were able to get that pic with the butterfly on her shoulder!
    My daughter would love to have such a magical experience — Priceless that you were able to enjoy it with them!

7. May says:

The butterfly spell comes far to infrequently in this life. We must soak it up when given the chance.
    My recent post Repotting the Plants

8. kasey says:

What a special moment and amazing experience!

9. Amy says:

I'm impressed you got out there with a camera and were able to take a couple pictures before the butterflies all flew away! :)

My recent post Marble Brownies

10. Isn't it amazing how still children can be when something is capturing their interest? What a lovely thing for you to silently observe from your window. Just another one of those lovely moments of motherhood. Thanks for sharing.
    My recent post You Have “A” Cancer – Part One

11. Adrienne says:

This is so sweet – love how captivated they were, and how their stillness was their idea….not something they were told, but their response to what was around them!