June is a month of Guest Bloggers! Today, Michelle, the Green-Mother, tells us about healthy eating. As a cancer survivor, I try to eat a rainbow of foods! Here is Michelle to tell us more:
Have you ever given some thought about your fruits and vegetables? Like most people, your answer is probably no. Did you know that the colors of fruit and vegetables contain different vitamins? For this reason, it is important to eat a colorful variety to get the full benefits.
Why Eat A Variety of Fruits And Vegetables?
– Eating a variety will provide you with the vitamins that you need.
– Eating a variety of fruits and vegetables can reduce your risks of developing serious health problems.
– Fruits and vegetables contain high levels of fiber. Consuming these can reduce your risk of heart disease.
– Consuming a variety of fruits and vegetables will eliminate boredom that may be associated with eating the same foods over and over again.
– According to the Harvard School of Public Health, they stated that fruits and vegetables are important to your overall health. They also stated that some types of fruits and vegetables can protect you against certain cancers.
– Dr. Andrew Weil, author of Eating Well for Optimum Health, created an eating plan which includes an abundance of colorful fruits and vegetables. To learn more about Dr. Weil’s eating plan, please visit: Dr. Weil’s Diet
The Importance of Color
As you will see, adding a variety of color to your diet plays an important role in your daily dietary routine.
For example, red, yellow, and orange fruits and vegetables may help reduce the risk of certain cancers and heart disease. The red berries play an important role by acting as a powerful antioxidant. They help protect cells from damage. Healthy red choices are: berries, apples, beets, cherries, cranberries, grapefruit, red grapes, and watermelon.
Phytonutrients can be found in blue and purple fruits and vegetables. Eating blackberries, blueberries, and eggplants may help reduce the risk of cancer, stroke, and heart disease.
White vegetables may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. They can also reduce the risk of stomach cancer and heart disease (Source of Information: North Dakota State University). Good choices are: cauliflower, onions, and turnips.
Green vegetables, such as broccoli and spinach, contain many anti-cancer properties. They also provide many nutrients.
How To Enjoy Your Fruits And Vegetables
There are many ways to enjoy your fruits and vegetables. In order not to get bored, spice it up and get your creative juices flowing!
– For breakfast, add some mixed berries into your yogurt or oatmeal.
– For lunch and supper, sauté some green vegetables, and add some tomatoes. This makes a wonderful side dish to all types of meals.
– For snacks, make a smoothie and add plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables. Add some milk and ice to get a smooth texture. At home, I use the Magic Bullet. It blends most fruits and vegetables, and caters to most smoothie recipes.
– Throughout the day, snack on baby carrots, and cucumbers.
There are so many ways to enjoy your fruits and vegetables. If you are on a budget, simply purchase what is on sale.
Get creative, have fun, and get healthy at the same time.
Michelle is a stay at home mom to three boys. She blogs about green living, gluten free and casein free living, family life, recipes, Michelle’s Favorite Things, and so much more! Michelle tries to make her days greener, one day at a time.