A Touching Christmas

When Emmy was feeling anxious about using an iTouch at school for center time, I knew I wanted to buy some kind of gadget with a touch screen for us to use at home. Neither Ed or I have a smart phone, and our e-readers are the boring black-and-white devices. True e-ink technology, which we both wanted for reading, since we both strain our eyes during the day on our computer screens.

On Christmas Eve, I looked under the tree and then looked at Ed. “Do they have enough presents to open?” I asked him.

“I think so,” he said. One of the gifts was the expensive item I wanted for the whole family. We bought the girls only a couple of other gifts to open. They had already opened the new pajamas we bought that evenings so that they could wear them to bed.

On Christmas morning, the girls ran down the stairs and looked in their stockings. They got a few stocking stuffers and were just as happy as could be. They didn’t look under the tree until Ed and I prompted them to.

They opened their Yahtzee game and a book together; Lily received a magic kit she wanted, and Emmy got a drawing kit. And then the big present which was for the whole family: a Nook Tablet!

playing on the new Nook

Playing on the new Nook in their new pajamas

After we opened presents together, both girls told us, “We didn’t expect to get so many presents for Christmas!”

Now that was a gift that I didn’t expect!

Did you receive an unexpected gift? Tell us about it in the comments!

Mama’s Losin’ It

10 Responses to A Touching Christmas

1. I love Christmas, but sometimes I wish we could completely scrap the gift thing. (But then, I'm an adult without kids – i think it's different for little ones)
    My recent post 2012 Retrospective

2. Mara says:

It sounds like the perfect Christmas. I hope they will always remain that way.
    My recent post Mara's Christmas Marathon

3. Alisha says:

Adorable. That is wonderful. I have always hated to see the gimme gimme some kids get….thankfully that is something we have never had to deal with. Your doing good work in your home for sure!

Stopping by from Mama Kats.

Cheers!

4. xaenafew says:

Sounds like your kids are perfect Ginny. I love it that you thought the presents were not enough but they were surprised that there were more than expected. Hope you had a good Christmas and I wish you a very happy new year :)
    My recent post We're Going On a Trip…Maybe

5. gretchen says:

What a wonderful gift to know you have such sweet, undemanding girls!!
    My recent post Shiny Objects

Sounds like a lovely Christmas and happy to hear how pleased the girls were. Have a Happy New Year!
    My recent post HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS

7. Bee says:

That must be so exciting for them! I hope it helps Emmy be more comfortable using a touch screen. Hubs and I were both sick on Christmas Day — which itself was unexpected — but he did give me something that really, really surprised me: a pair of shoes that I've had my eyes on for months! I hadn't realized he was paying attention when we were at the shoe store last fall and I happened to point them out to him. It was a great surprise! I'm glad you had a Merry Christmas!
    My recent post F is for Fauna

8. Amy says:

Although it wasn't unexpected, my best Christmas gift was having all twelve of my nieces and nephews in the same place at the same time. What a group photo that was! :)

My recent post Cookies of Christmas Past

9. Liz @ ANIAN says:

That is a PERFECT group gift for all of you!!!!
    My recent post Smoky Molasses, Cider & Sage Barbecue Sauce w/ Pork Chops

10. May says:

That is a thumbs up on parenting! They get so bombarded with messages of never ending consumerism that I worry my kids won't experience contentment. Whenever something like this happens, I send up a little prayer.