Tenacious

My daughter Lily is very tenacious. When she decides to do something, there is no stopping her. She learned how to ride a two-wheel bike when she was five because she wanted to. Wearing a helmet and kneepads, she taught herself how to rollerblade, because she wanted to. Ed and I don’t know where she got this tenacity, but it’s serving her well.Now she’s 8, and she’s learning how to knit. I expect that she will be wearing a scarf before the winter is over.

Lily knitting

I haven’t been knitting this winter. Instead, I’ve been gaining weight. It must be all the hibernating I’ve been doing. And the nibbling. The peanut butter crust here; the piece of cheese there; the leftover Christmas chocolates late at night. I decided today I was going to walk. The sun is shining and the temperature is hovering at the freezing point. My goal was to walk my usual two miles, the miles I had mapped out when I was in training for a certain 39 mile walk.

From sump pumps streaming water to melting snowbanks, sidewalks in our neighborhood are covered with patches of ice. About halfway through my walk, I saw a big, slippery patch ahead. I decided to move to the street to avoid it. As I walked down a driveway, I didn’t notice a small patch of ice at the bottom of the concrete.

I. completely. wiped. out.

My foot slipped out from under me. My hip crashed to the ground, my shoulder bashed into the blacktop, and I was surprised that I had fallen down so suddenly and so completely. Like I was the Queen of the Trampoline, however, I bounced back up, brushed off my hands, and kept walking.

I contemplated going around the short way, heading for home. I shook out my hip and my shoulder, which felt pretty good, and decided to finish my walk.

I just turned 44, I’m overweight, and I’m going to feel that fall in the morning. But I know where Lily gets her tenacity.

From me.

46 Responses to Tenacious

1. Mamarific says:

You're setting a great example for your daughter. And it stinks how we feel these little falls the next day like never before. Gotta love getting old :)
    My recent post A Day to Remember: Letter to Dad

2. OneMommy says:

Hope you don't feel it too much more in the morning… You go, girl!

And I love that your little girl is learning to knit — those are the things I hope stick around!

3. Love this! I'm trying to get myself in better shape too. And it's also super icy around here!

I'm very impressed your daughter is learning to knit! Darling photo. Believe it or not, my college-age son started learning a couple of years ago. Funny.

And being a bit tenacious comes in quite handy at times.
    My recent post These Things of the Heart

4. Jen says:

I took two of those spills last week! 42 and ice don’t mix, what happened to those days when we were made of rubber??

Shake it off! That’s what I say!

5. Oh, I'm glad you weren't hurt! YIKES! I am turning 45 in April and falling (and many other things for that matter) are different from when you were 25. :(

Tenacity is a fantastic quality. What a wonderful thing for you to have passed on to Lily. :)
    My recent post Not To Go Too Jerry Maguire On You…

6. Oh I am sorry to hear that you fell, but glad you did not break anything! I am overweight too…I need to find a way to blog on the treadmill :) Hope you are not in too much pain!

7. Jared karol says:

I guess this is a good example of "no pain, no gain"? :) I love tenacious children. . . they grow up to be the most capable and independent adults.
    My recent post A Little Before Four Wednesday Morning

8. samanthabmerel says:

Ouch. The streets in my neighborhood are a complete disaster too. I had a major wipe-out last week, and I'm still hurting!

9. iasoupmama says:

Tenacity is a fantastic quality to have — I love watching my kids use it; it makes me proud. And good on you for bouncing up! Way to go!
    My recent post I’ll Nancy Drew You!

10. Mara says:

Look after yourself! Before you know it, you will break something!!
    My recent post 'Round'

11. xaenafew says:

It's awesome that you have this awesome quality and that you passed it on to your daughter! I desperately need this – any chance I can will myself into it? Heheh.
    Hope you're not hurting too much from the fall. I remember the day I passed out on a concrete floor and my back ached for weeks.
    My recent post Every Day I Spend With Him is The Happiest Day of My Life

12. Angela Ryan says:

Wonderful little post. You and your daughter both seem very special. Sorry about your fall though.

13. Ericamos says:

Your daughter sounds awesome! Also, this slipping on ice business is one of the main reasons I'm against moving to a snowy climate. I'm way too clumsy without ice patches. Hope you don't find too many bruises in the morning!

14. Dawn says:

What a great little story!
    First off I love that your daughter is taking up knitting! What a sweetheart she is!
    And second, good for you. I'm glad you recognized your own tenacity. :-)
    My recent post Runaway

15. jesterqueen1 says:

Yes! It's a wonderful quality, and it's the kind of determination that helps you carry on.

16. Kathy Wendhack says:

Ouch, I also wiped out yesterday! Brusied but ok- love your story- and way to go Lily! What a wonderful trait to have!

17. Bee says:

Ouch! I love this story — you literally picked yourself back up when you fell and kept going. That's a great reminder for me. Lily looks just like you!
    My recent post My Groupon Saga Comes to an End

18. Natalie says:

What a little powerhouse! And her mother sounds pretty amazing, too. :)
    My recent post The Decision

19. Jeanne says:

Ouch! I'm glad you were okay to keep on going. Take a nice, hot bath tonight, it won't be so bad in the morning. The shoulder bashing into the blacktop of a scary thing though. Love that your daughter is knitting at 8 years old!
    My recent post The Beginning

20. Gina says:

First of all, I’m glad you are okay. What a great trait to have AND to pass along to your daughter.

Keep walking. Take some Aleve tonight.

21. Michigan Left says:

What a wonderful quality to have passed on to your daughter! It will serve her well. Hope you recover quickly from that fall.

22. icescreammama says:

love your mojo! you've got it going on. lily's got a great role model. (and try sitting on frozen peas. ;( )

23. Kirsten_O says:

Love this! And man, falling stinks, but I like the tenacity of getting back up. And a 39 mile walk!!!! Amazing.

That is awesome that she is tenacious. Way to go Lily! Looks like she is doing a great job with her knitting.__Sorry about your fall. I am sure you will hurt tomorrow. ((HUGS))